Monday, April 25, 2005

Bible

The WORD Of GOD

The Bible is the Word of God. It is God breathed (2 Tim 3:16). Hence, we should not come to the Bible merely for knowledge, but to Christ (John 5:39,40) to experience and enjoy Him.

2. What God has spoken through the centuries has been written down in the Bible. This book is the very embodiment of God, of all that He is and all that He has accomplished. We can read, understand and accept it!

(Chapter 48, Life Messages by Witness Lee, published by LSM, Anaheim)

3. The Bible is the old-time book, the new time book, the all time book!

4. Martin Luther said, “ There is only one book- the Bible, and one Person, Jesus Christ in the world.” He is both the outline and the detail of the Bible.

(p.108, Volume 3, Collected Works of Watchman Nee, LSM, Anaheim)

5. Hudson Taylor when over 70 years of age said to one of his children, “ I have just finished reading the Bible through, today, for the fortieth time in forty years.”

(p.156, Faith¡¦s Venture, Hudson Taylor by Mrs. Howard Taylor, CIM, London)

6. George Muller said, “ I have read the Bible through one hundred times and found something new and inspiring every time.”

7. Around the age of 20, brother Watchman Nee read through the New Testament weekly for about one year. And Watchman Nee said in 1947, “ I have read the New Testament a few hundred times.”

(Chapter 1 of the Resumption of Watchman Nee’s Ministry, Volume 1, published by LSM, Anaheim)

8. On practical hints for reading the Bible Watchman Nee said, “ The Bible must be read daily and consecutively. It is best if the Old and New Testaments are read together. The reading should not be too fast but rather daily and systematically. If possible try to memorize one or two verses each day.”

9. On how to make the best use of the Bible, HY. Pickering said, “ (i) Read it through (ii) Pray it in (iii) Work it out (iv) Note it down (v) Pass it on.”

10. Brother Witness Lee testified his love for the Bible in his book, page 32, The Organic Aspect of God’s salvation, published by LSM, Anaheim:

When I was saved, I began to love the Bible and enjoyed reading the word of God. Whenever I read it, I was enlightened and sensed its incomparable sweetness. At that time I was not yet married. I loved the Bible to such an extent that every night after praying on my knees by my bed, I still would not put the Bible down. Rather, I would take the Bible with me to bed and place it by the pillow. After I read it again for a short while under the lamp, I felt so sweet. When I woke up in the morning, I would quickly reach for the Bible and read it. Of course, as I look back, I admit that was a grace given to me by God. By loving the Bible and longing for the milk in the word, I received the Lord’s feeding and shepherding.

11. One day during the time of his last illness, the doctors wanted to test how well brother Witness Lee’s mental faculties were functioning. They asked brother Lee to write down on a piece of paper the one thing that he loved the most. Without hesitation he wrote down, I love the Lord Jesus. Then he thought about it for a minute, and said, “Let me change it,” and proceeded to write, I love the Bible. To him, the things he loved the most were the Lord Jesus and the Bible, and both were equally precious to him.

(p.101, and p.102, “A God man’s death” published by LSM, Anaheim.)

12. Before reading the Bible, it is good to call on the Lord. Right away, the Written word of the Bible becomes the living word.

(Message 8, the Crystallization-Study of Romans, Witness Lee, published by LSM, Anaheim)

13. In Ephesians 6:17,18 the Apostle Paul said, “ receive… the word of God… by means of all prayer…” Hence, the most important of all, when we come to the Bible, we should pray-read His Word.

No comments: